The Arts in ABE - Part 2: Music and Technology in the Classroom (W)
- Using Music and Technology in the ESOL and Literacy Classroom is Part 2 of a Four-Part Series on The Arts in ABE. Part 1 - " Trust, Teamwork and Confidence: Theater as a Teaching and Learning Tool in the ABE Classroom" is offered Thursday, August 30 (9 am - 12 pm); Part 3 - "Writing Poetry with Students" is offered on Friday, August 31 (9 am - 12 pm); and Part 4 - "Storytelling in the ESOL/Literacy Classroom" is offered on Friday, August 31 (1 pm - 4 pm) Participation in the entire series is recommended, but not required.
Music, with or without lyrics, can be an enjoyable and educationally sound tool that supports a creative, communicative classroom. Computers, too are tools, and can be used in conjunction with music and other arts to enhance language learning. In this highly participatory workshop, we will discover ways to combine music and computers, engaging multiple intelligences, practicing the four skills (listening, speaking, reading, writing), and as a bonus, teaching some American culture and geography.
- Aug 30, 2012 from 01:00 pm to 04:00 pm
- Off campus (see below)
- Picknelly Adult and Family Education Center [in the Holyoke Transportation Center]
- 206 Maple Street - Rooms 302-303-304
- Holyoke, MA 01040
- Registration Deadline
- Aug 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM
- ABE, ESOL, Curriculum Development, Other Curriculum & Instruction
- Maximum attendance
- Multi-session attendance required
- Contact info
- Learning objectives
By the end of the class, participants will be able to:
- use music--both with and without lyrics--to support language learning
- encourage active participation by students through musical and computer activities
- teach basic skills and foster higher level thinking using music and computers
- Regina Ress
- Presenters Bio
- Regina Ress is an English teacher and professional storyteller who gives workshops on using storytelling, music, visual arts and technology in the language classroom at New York University, the Literacy Assistance Center, Young Audiences NY and Arts Horizons. She has performed nationally and internationally in both English and Spanish.
- Host RSC
- West Massachusetts Region